Sunday 11 March 2018

My first ever solo backpack trip... (Kuantan and Kuala Terengganu)



Last 2 weeks, I had my first ever lone backpack trip to the East Coast of Peninsula Malaysia. I was being so fortunate to do so after finishing STPM (Form 6) examinations by last year…
Pahang state's flag

Terengganu state's flag
On the first day of my trip (21/2/2018), I had commuted express bus to the first destination of my travel list – Kuantan in the morning. As we all know, Kuantan is the capital city of Pahang State. Moreover, Kuantan area has several tourist attractions at the beaches such as Teluk Cempedak and Cherating.
After arriving to the destination, I took Rapid Bus 303 from Kuantan Terminal Center (TKS) to the town centre. Then, I went to checking in Kuantan Guess House hotel right before I went to Teluk Cempedak in the evening. I purposely went to the beach is to sight seeing and having dinner there (I eventually end up having McDonalds meal there). 
View of Teluk Cempedak
For me, Teluk Cempedak is a decent place to de-stress temporary in life. This is because the magnificent view of the beach will likely to aid you to keep your bad feeling at bay for a moment and you can enjoy the sea breeze there.
The next day, I strolled around the town centre after I checked out from the hotel. I had a plenty of time to walk around the town centre prior to boarding to the next destination – Kuala Terengganu by 2:45pm. I took Rapid bus to tour around Kuantan as well as to the Gebeng Industrial Zone. Just like in Klang Valley, Rapid bus service had enhanced the town’s accessibility, people there are easy to travel in Kuantan area.
Taman Esplande in Kuantan town centre.

3kg of salted fish, It cost roughly RM65 per kilogramme
 (P/S: I just now forgot to mention that Salted fish is famous within the region of Kuantan and Chukai (Terengganu). There are ample of salted fish related small and medium industry at the semi urban area of Beserah and Balok in Kuantan.)

Upon reaching to Kuala Terengganu in the late evening, I went to Kampung Cina and Pasar Payang after checking in the DJ Citi Point hotel which is located nearby Kampung Cina. I stayed there for 2 nights. I had the Kuey Teow Soup which costs me for RM5 as my dinner. 
Night view of Kampung Cina...
According to some locals there, Kampung Cina has roughly more than 250 years of history. This is proven by the oldest temple in the area – Ho Ann Keong was build there more than 250 years already. So, Kampung Cina is considered as one of the earliest Chinese settlements in Malaysia. Recently the Chinatown has added many new attractions to lure more visitors to travel there.
Ho Ann Keong Temple

Chinatown and me...
On the 3rd day of my trip, I took Grabcar to Batu Burok Beach from the hotel in the morning. Similar to Teluk Cempedak, Batu Burok is able to attract tourist to visit there too. This is because of Batu Burok Beach is surrounded by the malay eateries stall of Cendol, Sate Ikan and Terengganu tradition of Keropok Lekor as well as A&W fast food restuarant. All of them are just a stone’s throw away distance from the view of beach.
There are quite a number of swings for the travelers as well as city dwellers to enjoy the moment at the beach.
However, that day was on Friday. Most all the shop lots and stalls in Terengganu will be closed temporarily from 12:30pm till roughly 2:00pm for their prayer. Even the town’s Bas Kite service was also stopped temporarily on that day.
I forced to walk along Jalan Sultan Zainal Abidin to go back to the town centre. Amid walking along the road, I had found a warung was still operating, so I went there and have Nasi Dagang as my simple lunch.
After the prayers’ time, I went to the Hentian Bandar MBKT to wait for the Bas Kite to depart to Muzium Negeri Terengganu (Ticket of Bas Kite costs RM1 per trip). I had waited for roughly 30-40 minutes for the bus to depart to the destination. The state museum is the largest museum in Malaysia and that museum is exhibiting the ancient and modern artifacts and stone inscriptions that were found in that state.
 
Bas Kite Kuala Terengganu
Besides, that museum is also having the Maritime gallery where you can get to learn more about the maritime history of Terengganu. There has also the royal gallery where you can get to learn more about the Sultanate of Terengganu from the ancient till the modern history. After that, I visit to Crystal Mosque a while right before the sky became dark.
Terengganu state muzuem, one of the tourist attraction in Kuala Terengganu where you can get to know more regarding Terengganu state's history.
At night, I went back to Kuala Terengganu to have dinner again in Kampung Cina. In the meantime, on that day was also the date of BaiTianGong (A Hokkien Chinese celebration on every 8th day’s night of  Chinese New Year). The vibrant atmosphere of the Chinatown lured me to have a look on what was going on near the old temple. Their celebration God Worshipping was as lively as it was carried out in Penang and Klang.

On the last day of my trip, I went to visit Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT). The public university is located at Gong Badak in Kuala Nerus District (15-20 minutes driving distance from the town). I did also revisited Kampung Cina and Pasar Payang for the last time before I went back to KL in order to buy some souvenirs for my family and friends. I (I am a Kelantanese but raise up in KL) really in loved with the ways of life in the East Coast region especially in Terengganu and Kelantan. I will certainly revisit there again for second time… Ah, next time I will upload more blog posts about my backpack trip...

 Please do watch this video too. This Youtube video is introducing Kampung Cina (Chinese Settlement in Kuala Terengganu) as a tourist attraction for the tourists from all over the world. Besides, this video did lure me to visit Terengganu. Lol!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice travel blog about chinatown in terengganu. Definitely will visit chinatown for my next trip there. Thank you for the info and the youtube video too! It's actually lead to another video Peranakan Festival Terengganu, nice..

    ReplyDelete